Skip to content


Founded on March 11, 1912, the Greater Wausau Chamber of Commerce marks more than 100 years of helping businesses grow. The Chamber serves as the indispensable source for business connections, opportunities, and solutions with a mission to strengthen member businesses and enhance the community by building business success.

A report in the next day’s newspaper stated, "With an earnestness and enthusiasm unprecedented in local movements of this kind, the citizens of Wausau to the number of five hundred or more met last night in the civilization of a society having for its object the promotion of the welfare of the city."

In its early years, the Association focused on appointing a committee to "look after entertainment of visitors and do what we can to secure other conventions for Wausau," developing plans to make Wausau a "greater buying center", forming a committee to make Wausau safer from fire, and developing new industrial prospects. The organization devoted many of its resources to retaining and attracting new businesses to the area. It also promoted tourism, raised money for improving the road between Wausau and Merrill, and encouraged better relations between the city and surrounding communities.

Different Names, But Same Mission

In May 1916, the organization changed its name to the "Chamber of Commerce". Reflecting a broadening of interests, the organization became the Wausau Chamber of Commerce and in 1999, it became the Wausau/Marathon County Chamber of Commerce. In 2003, the Chamber’s official name was changed to the Wausau Area Chamber of Commerce, Inc DBA Wausau Region Chamber of Commerce. In 2019 the name was altered to Greater Wausau Chamber of Commerce.
While the name may have changed, its mission and goal has remained a constant. Today, as in 1912, The Greater Wausau Chamber of Commerce works to make the whole community a better place by building business success.