Founded on March 11, 1912, the Greater Wausau Chamber of Commerce marks more than 100 years of helping businesses grow. The Chamber serves as the indispensable source for business connections, opportunities, and solutions with a mission to strengthen member businesses and enhance the community by building business success.
A report in the next day’s newspaper stated, "With an earnestness and enthusiasm unprecedented in local movements of this kind, the citizens of Wausau to the number of five hundred or more met last night in the civilization of a society having for its object the promotion of the welfare of the city."
In its early years, the Association focused on appointing a committee to "look after entertainment of visitors and do what we can to secure other conventions for Wausau," developing plans to make Wausau a "greater buying center", forming a committee to make Wausau safer from fire, and developing new industrial prospects. The organization devoted many of its resources to retaining and attracting new businesses to the area. It also promoted tourism, raised money for improving the road between Wausau and Merrill, and encouraged better relations between the city and surrounding communities.